The San Diego Botanic Garden is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Current Job Listing
Volunteer Horticulture Internship
The San Diego Botanic Garden will be hiring a Marketing Intern to assist with Marketing and Public Relation activities for the Garden. The intern must be available to start working no later than May 1, 2014 and be able to work till at least September 1, 2014. The intern will work approximately 20-24 hours a week between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday.
The candidate must be energetic, comfortable speaking in public and a self-starter with the ability to accomplish tasks with minimal supervision. This position will allow the intern to gain hands-on experience in many aspects of Marketing and Public Relations for a small business and non-profit. In the position the intern will manage various tasks at once and must be able to prioritize duties. In addition to marketing and administrative duties the candidate will interact and work closely with many of the Garden’s 300 volunteers.
Duties will include:
- Sending press releases to predetermined media contacts
- Adding events to online community calendars
- Using iContact, create email newsletters
- Enforcing and tracking photography/videography policy within the Garden
- Coordinate ads with advertisers and verify invoices
- Create content for social media networks including, including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. This entails engaging with the public - not simply liking and posting events.
- Liaison to graphic artist
- Ensure website is up to date
- Track and archive media presence
- Write article content for online and print publications
- Experience using many different forms of social media
- Excellent writing and grammar skills
- Quick learner, self-motivated, and able to multi task on multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be able to work independently\
- Be team player
- Detail oriented
The candidate will need to have strong writing skills, knowledge of MS Office products, including Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word, and familiarity with social media and content and marketing best practices.
Interested candidates please send resume to Jwiebusch@SDBGarden.org with the subject line “Marketing Intern”
Volunteer Horticulture Internship
Located north of San Diego ½ mile from the Pacific Ocean, San Diego Botanic Garden (formerly known as Quail Botanical Gardens) has thirty -five virtually frost free acres with diverse plant collections and gardens. Major botanical collections include palms, bamboo, aloes, agaves, and other subtropical and Mediterranean climate species. Notable gardens include desert gardens, tropical gardens, Mediterranean climate gardens, and the new Hamilton Children’s Garden.
The internship is a non-paid training position intended for applicants interested in pursuing a career in
horticulture. Interns are trained in horticultural activities including tropical and subtropical plant identification, care and maintenance, planting, pruning, fertilizing, watering, weeding, mulching, and pest control. Other public garden activities may include plant records, mapping, landscape design, and labeling. Activities may include operation and maintenance of irrigation systems, hand tools, power tools, electric carts, and other equipment.
Applicants must have a general knowledge of plants and their culture. College level course work in horticulture and allied fields is strongly recommended. Applicants must be in good physical condition and have the ability to lift and carry a minimum of 25 lbs.
A resume, cover letter, and letters of recommendation are required.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and letters of recommendation to:
San Diego Botanic Garden
PO Box 230005
Encinitas, CA 92023-0005