Insect Festival 2013
July 13 and 14
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
This one-of-a-kind event features thousands of fascinating creepy-crawlies including live insects, lizards, snakes, and the famous “Madagascar hissing cockroaches.” Children can practice bug collecting, hands-on insect arts and crafts, and even taste cooked mealworm larva (in various flavors such as mesquite, teriyaki, and barbeque!). Entomologists and other bug experts will be available for questions and more than 20 informational booths will teach and entertain children and adults alike. Sponsored by the County of San Diego Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures, Lloyd Pest Control, and the San Diego Botanic Garden.
Cost: Free for members and children 12 and under.
Non-members free with admission
- Avian Eyes Interactive Outreach (AEIO) – AEIO is birds! We present birds, including some rare species from five different continents. Our birds will play with guests at the Garden while sharing an important message of conservation of one earth in harmony with plants, insects, animals and humans.
- Bell’s Bugs, Etc. – Live insects and reptiles for presentations. Insect speciments, live beetles for sale.
- Boy Scout Troop 799 - Activity Fundraiser: Honey Sales and Service Projects
- C. Kumlin Designs - Hats for adults and kids with floral and insect- related décor.
- Casa Blah Blah – Jewelry the celebrates nature
- Caterpillar to Butterfly – Will sell painted lady caterpillars with food, live painted lady butterflies, bug / butterfly cages. Possibly ladybugs and monarch caterpillars.
- County of San Diego – Vector Control and Insects from Around the World: Vector control information and assorted insects from around the world on display.
- EcoVivarium – Slither, Creep and Crawl: See amazing ectotherms up close and hands on! Meet fascinating creatures: slimy banana slugs, exotic millipedes, hissing giant roaches, hairy spiders and glow in the dark scorpions! But wait, there’s more! Join us for a fascinating look (and touch) with even more creepy crawly critters as you meet lizards – from the petite to large and snakes of all sizes, including a giant vibrant yellow (albino) Burmese Python.
- Entomological Research Publishers - Mounted Insects and Books
- George Jones – Observation bee hive with live bees including queens and drones
- Hand-Eye Coordination - Fun and Educational Insect and Nature-Related Toys and Accessories
- Highton Creations - Butterfly art work, insect jewelry
- Insects and Arts – Insect exhibition and face painting
- JEB Photography – Photos of local and Baja insects and spiders – prints, greeting cards, etc.
- Kritter Kat / Scientific and Insect Art – andmade illustrations, cards, buttons, bug plushies, embroideries, and goodies.
- Lloyd Pest Control – Live insects, toys for kids, and pinned insect displays
- Millipedes and More – We sell various insects, jewelry, and other insect related items. Do parties.
- Pamela Taylor Waldman / Capturing the Light – Photographs of insects and other wildlife and nature scenes; cards, framed-matted photos
- San Diego Botanic Garden - Carniverous Plants Courtesy of Booman Floral
- San Diego County Department of Agriculture - Insects of Agriculture and Inspection Dog Team
- San Diego Natural History Museum - SDNHM Entomology: An education collection of living and preserved insects from San Diego and beyond.
- San Diego Turtle and Tortoise Society – Turtles and Turtoises for display
- Santa Fe Nursery / Aquatic Creatures: Plants and creatures found in water
- US Department of Agriculture / APHIS – Insects of California and Mexico. Invasive species, drawers of preserved insects from California and Mexico.
- Steven Kutcher / Bugs Are My Business – Live insects, educational displays, insect art
- University of California Cooperative Extension – Integrated Pest Management Kiosk
- Wonders of Wildlife - Bugs and Animals that Eat Bugs (2 presentations both days)
Banner photo: Herb Knufken